Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council


Support for parents who are worried about conflict:


Early Help

Early help is available for families with children and young people up to the age of 19 (25 if they have learning development needs or disabilities).

When a family needs support we make sure they have access to the support they need at the earliest possible stage to prevent their needs becoming so great that they require a higher level of more specialist support further down the line.

Support is available through a number of services, which could include family support workers, targeted youth support, family centres, school nurses, speech and language therapists, housing workers, community safety workers, NHS staff and services in the voluntary and community sector.

Our family centres and targeted youth support service work closely together to provide one gateway to services for all children and families through family centres and locally based ‘I Know I Can’ (IKIC) young person centres. A full range of services can be delivered on site, in other suitable community venues, or in the home.

Family centres offer a timetable of groups and activities and include services delivered by partner agencies, including a full range of information, advice and guidance on wider services available in a community.

If you live in Barnsley, you can register and access services at any family or IKIC centres.

The video below gives an insight into the wide range of Early Help Services by some of the Barnsley residents who access them. Find out how Early Help helps!

Information about groups, activities and services available to families in Barnsley can be found by accessing our Families Information Service.

Through the Internet at

By Phone on 0800 0345 340

Or by emailing



If you’re worried that a child or young person’s at risk of harm or abuse, it’s vital that you tell someone. We’re not asking you to make judgments or interfere unnecessarily in other people’s lives; we just want to make sure that the child or young person gets the help, support and protection they may need.

Who to tell

If you think the child is in immediate danger, call the police on 999 or (0114) 2202020.

If the child’s not in immediate danger, but you’re still concerned about them, call our social care assessment service on (01226) 772423 (weekdays before 5pm).

Call our emergency duty team on (01226) 787789 if you’re calling after 5pm, at weekends or on bank holidays.

You can report your concern anonymously if you prefer. If you do give us your details, we’ll store them securely and keep them confidential.

If you don’t feel comfortable calling any of the above, tell a health visitor, a doctor or another professional you trust about your concerns.

Domestic Abuse

Parental conflict is not the same as domestic abuse – If you are afraid of your partner or feeling that they control your life then this is more likely to be domestic abuse, please seek help.

Support is available through IDAS for families living in the Barnsley area

Call 999 if you or someone you know is in immediate danger from domestic abuse or sexual violence.

Call101 if you want to report something that’s happened or if you want to seek advice.

Call the Independent Domestic Abuse Service (IDAS) on 03000 110 110 or 24hr national helpline: 0808 2000 247

Visit the IDAS website for further help and support