Wakefield Families Together

Support for parents who are worried about conflict

There’s local support accessible across the Wakefield district through the Wakefield Families Together Clusters. These provide a range of information and support, including one to one guidance and specialist groups for parents who are together, as well as parents who are co-parenting apart. To find out more visit our early help directory www.earlyhelp.wakefield.gov.uk


Early help through our Children First Hubs

Help is also available through our Children First Hubs. There are six Children First Hubs directly supporting the Wakefield Families Together Clusters. The Children First Hubs provide whole family support on a wide range of issues – including parental conflict.

This support ranges from simple signposting and brief interventions for families who need just a little extra early help, to more comprehensive support involving a whole family key worker. To find out more and discover your local Children First Hub visit:-

Website: www.earlyhelp.wakefield.gov.uk.

Castleford / Airedale – 01977 724350  – cfhnortheast@wakefield.gov.uk

Pontefract / Knottingley – 01977 722644 – cfhponteknottingley@wakefield.gov.uk

Normanton / Featherstone – 01924 307878 –  cfhmidwakefield@wakefield.gov.uk

South East – 01977 722305 – cfhsoutheast@wakefield.gov.uk

South West – 01924 303181 – cfhSouthwest@wakefield.gov.uk

Central North West – 01924 303272 – cfhwakefieldwest@wakefield.gov.uk

Domestic abuse

Parental conflict is not the same as domestic abuse. Many forms of domestic abuse are serious crimes and are against the law. It is important to understand the difference so you can get the most appropriate help for you and your family. It might be useful to think about your relationship and ask yourself:

  • Do I feel afraid of my partner?
  • Have I been physically hurt by someone in my family?
  • Do I feel like I am ‘walking on eggshells’?
  • Have I got control over my own decisions, such as where I go?
  • Am I afraid to speak my mind?

If you can answer yes to any of these questions you could be experiencing domestic abuse. Domestic abuse can happen to anyone, and the person abusing you could be an intimate partner, ex-partner, husband, wife, son or daughter or a grandchild.  Anyone over the age of 16 who you have a close family relationship with could be using abusive behaviors. There is lots of help, advice and information available. This website is a good place to start, www.wakefield.gov.uk/keepitsweet   There is a local service you can call – the Wakefield District Domestic Abuse Service on 0800 915 1561 or you can e-mail them domesticabuse@wakefield.gov.uk


If you are in immediate danger, please don’t hesitate – contact the Police on 999

You can also report domestic abuse using this simple form https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/report-it/report-domestic-abuse


Have a concern?

If you are worried about a child or young person; whether you think they might be at risk of harm, abuse, or neglect, you can contact Wakefield Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) to raise a concern:

Tel:     0345 8 503 503

Email: Social_Care_Direct_Children@wakefield.gov.uk

Remember, if you believe a child or young person is at immediate risk of harm contact the police on 999. For further information on safeguarding visit the Wakefield Safeguarding Children Partnership website. www.wakefieldscp.org.uk

For those who are worried about hurting someone else, you can find support on the early help directory page www.earlyhelp.wakefield.gov.uk