City of York Council

Support for parents who are worried about parental conflict:


Early Help

The City of York’s Local Area Teams work with families at an Early help Level and can offer you support on a whole range of issues. This includes when parents’ whether living together or living separately are in regular conflict and this is impacting on family life and on the wellbeing of their child or children. If you would like to find ways you can access help for your family you can contact our Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 01904 551900 and selecting option 2, or email them at


Support if you are at risk in your own home

Parental conflict is not the same as domestic abuse – If you are afraid of your partner or feeling that they control your life then this is more likely to be domestic abuse. If you need support, you can have a silent conversation with a support worker via the IDAS live chat service.

For more information visit, call 101 or if you are in immediate danger, call 999.


Family Information Service

York Family Information Service is an impartial service for families and those who care for children up to 19 years old, or up to 25 if the child has a disability or additional need. The service can help signpost to parenting support information, courses and anything else to do with family life in York.

For more information visit the YorOK website, call 01904 554444 10am-4pm, email or text 07624 802244.


Worried about a child

If you`re worried about a child, you can speak to the NSPCC for advice and support on 0808 800 5000.

If you have serious concerns about a child or young person, you should contact, City Of York Council’s Children Social Care team on:

01904 551900 8.30am – 5pm Monday to Friday

01609 780780 for the emergency, out of hours duty team.

If a child is at immediate risk please contact North Yorkshire Police using the emergency number 999